Monday, October 12, 2009

A Baby and A Conclusion

The doctor asked if everyone was ready. There was no reply. She asked again, still no reply. There was no time left. With no answer and everyone still running around it was time to get started. The nurse grabbed one of my legs and my fiance the other. My mom and fiance got their cameras ready to get the first pictures of the new baby, and the doctor told me how to start breathing. Because everything was so early we never had time to take the routine pregnancy classes normal first time families take. Needless to say I really had no clue what was supposed to happen. We were taking everything right as it came.

I started the paced breathing and the doctor told me to push. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Breath out. "Take a breath," but I was ready to keep going. The doctor said we should see the head with the next push. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Breath out. One more time. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Breath out. And there she was. My beautiful baby girl. The doctor held her up for me to get a peek.For a moment everything was silent until we all layed eyes on her. They joy poured out of my body and I instantly started crying.

Before I even had time to say hello she was whisked away to the scurry of nurses in the corner. The nurses began looking and prodding her. One nurse began looking down her throat, but there was a problem. The device she was using had a faulty light bulb. She needed this to check her breathing. But the light bulb was out. She quickly fixed it and performed the routine to make sure she was ok. No one spoke this whole time. The only noise was the nurses during their routines. I had no idea how she was doing. I couldn't tell if she was breathing, and she didn't have the typical crying normal babies do when they are born.

After what seemed an eternity they finally wheeled her over. The nurse tilted her slightly for me to see her, then the mass of people began to file out. The nurse wheeled her away and my fiance followed. My mom left to tell everyone she had been born, and the doctor followed behind her. The nurse stayed to help me clean up and get me situated to rest. After she helped me get comfortable my mom came back into the room to soothe me. We talked for a little while then I started getting extremely sleepy.

As the epidural started to wear off, the horrible side pain began to return. As it did so did the dry heaving because of the intensity. The nurse came back in and the doctor was quickly called. You could see the wheels turning in his head. He truly had no idea what it was. Because he didn't have the answers he found someone who may. He called a General Surgeon. I told him my symptoms and he ordered a few tests be performed. To top it off it was thunder storming outside and I had visitors in and out of my room all day. Visitors are nice, but when you are constantly dry heaving and you haven't had anything to eat for two days, people trying to be in your space is the last thing you want.

Between the visitors I went to the tests the surgeon had ordered. A few of the tests were repeats from the first time, but there were a couple I hadn't had before. One test required me to fill six different shaped and sized vials for blood tests. One required a special fluid be injected through an IV, and another had me inhale a certain gas. Having all of these tests forced me to be unable to do the one thing I had been lookinf for since I knew I was pregnant. I couldn't pump to provide the essential nutrients for my baby. The days leading up to the birth that was all every nurse and doctor had said could be the biggest contribution I could give to my daughter. Now I couldn't.

Thankfully after all of this hell they had found the problem. It took the help of six different doctors and a medical book to find it out, but they had the answer. Over the weekend my adrenal gland was hemoraging. Your adrenal gland is located right above your kidneys. Because of my enlarged uterous all of my organs were pushed up leaving a slightly different looking anatomy. This could be one reason it was difficult for the to diagnose. Another could be the extreme rarity of this problem. The doctors had to look in a medical book to find this diagnosis.

The next step was to find out how to fix it. An endocrynologist was called and she came with all of the answers. She said that it would heal on its own. This was unasuring. To me this curious thing that was causing me the most exrusiating pain I have ever felt in my life was just supposed to go away all by itself. But it did and with the help of pain medicine to help me the few days it took I felt extremely better.

Now, because of the rarity of all of this, I will be in a medical journal. Every doctor that had seen me had no idea what it was. Hopefully with the posting in a medical journal it can help the unique individual it gets next.

No comments:

Post a Comment