Thursday, September 24, 2009

Could this be time?

A week had gone by at home and we were beginning to get settled into our new home. Everything was finding a place and preparations for the baby were in the beginning stages.

It was the day of my first doctor's visit with the new doctor. My appointment wasn't until later in the afternoon so I figured a morning spent sleeping in was in order. Unfortunately my bladder had other plans. At around nine in the morning I made my way down the hall to the bathroom. In the way I had a very unusual feeling. It was as if I was wetting myself. Did I really need to go that bad? I made it to the restroom and sat on the toilet and that is when it all hit me. I looked down and all I could see was red. My heart dropped and I had no idea what to do . In a flurry of emotions I screamed for my fiance who was still sound asleep. He ran down the hall, my phone in hand, to find out what he needed to do. I instantly called my mom to see what her input would be. Luckily she had the answer.

She had called the doctor's office and we had an emergency appointment. She came home and picked us up and we were on our way. At the doctor's office the doctor performed an exam to see if my water had actually broke or if this was something far worse. He was unable to come to a conclusion. It was apparent this didn't sit well with him and he quickly ordered for me to be taken to the hospital by ambulance.

In a way i was extremely nervous, but in a another I was kind of excited. Nervous because of the unknown and excited for the same reason. The EMT's wheeled the stretcher into the small office. They manuvered it in front of the room my family and I were in. At first I was a little upset. It seemed a little unnecessary; I could walk just fine, but after I layed down on it I enjoyed the free ride. The EMT's pushed me out of the office and into the waiting room where I was greated with the eyes of many other prenant women waiting for their routine check ups. After this embarassment we made our way to the ambulence. Pictures were taken, goodbyes were said, and I was on my way. I felt extremely lonely, but the occasional contraction reminded me that I may have an unexpected visitor very soon.

On the drive my head began to wander. In total the drive was probably about 15 to 20 minutes, but so many things were going through my mind I really don't remember much of it. I do however remember trying to imagine where I was on the familiar drive through town with only the bright blue sky to aide me. I also remember the sirens; something that is completely different from the inside.

Before I knew it we were at the hospital and I had an IV in my arm. They pulled me out and wheeled me in through the emergency entrance. We made our way to Labor and Delivery on the third floor. I was then transfered to a hospital bed in my own room. The nurse came in and began asking a slew of medical questions. Two questions in the parade f family began to file into the arlready small room. The craziness just seemed to continue to build. It was all just extremely overwhelming.

After the guests started to die down, the soctors and nurses bega to file in. It seemed they all had the same questions to ask. After a while I was sent to a special room to get another check done to see if this doctor could determine if my water had broke or not. She too could not tell if it had so the next step was to have an ultra sound. The results were not promising. It seemed that the amniotic fluid had gone down considrably, but there was still enough to sustain the baby. The doctor decided from these results that I would stay on bedrest at the hospital for a few days. They were looking to see if the good would happen; my amniotic fluid would go back up. Or if the bad would happen; I would get an infection that could possibly pass to the baby.

A few days went by and things were looking pretty good. The doctor decided that I would stay over the weekend to make sure everything was still well and to allow my amniotic fluid to go up a little more. That was Friday morning. By Friday evening things had changed dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment